Monday, March 19, 2012

What’s my buying capacity? Maximum versus reasonable


Probably the number one question I get asked as a mortgage broker is “Hey Mark, what’s my buying capacity?” As a first time buyer or even a repeat buyer your buying capacity is mission critical. With my weekly column in the Hudson Gazette and my blog montrealmortgageblogger.com, I’ve received quite a few calls from home owners that are over their heads with mortgage and debt payments. It’s always good for the ego to see our maximum buying capacity, but does it make sense to stretch it that high? I will tell you from several horror stories that I’ve seen the past three weeks, clearer it’s not worth it.  

Your buying capacity is based on a couple mortgage calculations, one in particular referred at TDS or Total Debt Service ratio. Typically all Canadian banks use this calculation. This calculation takes a look at your annual expenses namely school and municipal taxes, home heating, and your personal debt load and is divided by your gross income (combined if you are a couple and a portion of your rental income, if any) multiplied by one hundred. On an insured purchase meaning your putting less than 20% down payment, your TDS can go up to 44%. Depending on the lender a refinance the TDS can range from 40-44% whether you are refinancing conventionally (up to 80% of market value of your home) or insured (85% of market value).

First and foremost if you are buying or refinancing mortgage planning is invaluable. You will not always get that detailed service at the branch-level at a bank. That statement is not intended knock the banks but one needs to be careful and budget conscious. A good mortgage broker can help you establish a plan and keep you on budget. What I mean by that is take a much closer look at that TDS calculation. TDS is a crude ratio and does not take into account a lot of your other annual expenses such as insurance, school tuition for the kids, food, gas, etc. With that in mind you can create a reasonable buying capacity. Lastly, when taking your income into account typically I look solely at base incomes and if appropriate exclude or take an average of your over time, bonuses and commission. I treat those as sugar because they can all disappear or fluctuate tremendously in this economy.

If you have any questions or would like to share a mortgage experience, I’d love to hear from you. Have a great week.

2 comments:

  1. Great writing and thank you for sharing it with us I really like that I have also some awesome stuff for you related Edmonton Mortgage Brokers where you can easily find a mortgage broker which full fills your requirements!
    Edmonton Mortgage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ahmad, appreciate your kind words. How is the mortgage business in Edmonton? Hmm I was in Edmonton last probably four or five years ago. I like it there very much and have some funny stories to share about my time there.

    ReplyDelete